Pleco is the ultimate Chinese learning companion with an integrated Chinese English dictionary/document reader/flashcard system with full-screen handwriting input and live camera-based character searches from a company with 17 years of experience.
Key features: ($ = paid add-on)
• Great dictionaries: The free app comes with two dictionaries – CC-CEDICT and our on-premises PLC dictionary – together covering 130,000 Chinese words and containing 20,000 sample sentences with Pinyin. We offer 8 more free dictionaries as on-demand downloads, including a Cantonese-English dictionary with 22,000 entries, and 19 more great dictionaries are available as a paid upgrade. ($)
• Handwriting entry: search for unknown characters by drawing them with best-in-class recognition infrastructure. (basic version free, improved version $)
• Live Optical Character Recognizer (OCR): Search for Chinese words in the dictionary only by pointing your device’s camera at them or swiping around a still image. ($)
• Narrator/OCR: Instantly tap Chinese words in other apps via a floating interface; Works on Android 4.1 and later. (reader free, OCR $)
• Information Card System: create cards from any dictionary entry at the touch of a button, import pre-prepared word lists, use advanced techniques such as SRS (intermittent repetition), and work in a variety of modes, including fill in the blanks and tone exercises. (simple version free, full featured $)
• Sound Pronunciation: Instantly hear the voice of male + female native speaker for Chinese dictionary head words; Available records for more than 34,000 words. (seamless syllable, multi-syllable $) Or listen to sample sentences with text-to-speech (system TTS free, improved $ ).
• Strong search: Search for words by Chinese characters, Pinyin (optional spaces/tones), or a combination with wildcard characters and full-text search support.
• Cross-reference: Tap any Chinese character/word in any dictionary entry to bring the definition.
• Stroke Sequence Diagrams: animations showing how to draw each Chinese character; 500 in the free app, 28,000 in the paid add-on.
• Voice recognition: search for words by speaking into your device’s microphone.
• Document Reader: Open a Chinese text or PDF file and search the dictionary for unknown words just by tapping. ($) You can also look at characters on webpages through “Share” and in other documents via the dashboard. (free)
• PRC and Taiwan friendly: supports traditional and simplified characters (in dictionary definitions, stroke layout, search, OCR, and handwrite) and supports Zhuyin (with ruby support) and Pinyin for pronunciation viewing.
• Canton: Perform searches in display headwords + Jyutping/Yale romanticization. We also offer Cantonese dictionary and Cantonese audio plugins. (a little $)
• No ads: We won’t even nagg about buying add-ons.
We also offer excellent customer support – send us an email and see for yourself – and an active community of users at plecoforums.com.
We have been implementing Chinese dictionary applications since 2000 and our sales and customer base have been growing steadily for 17 years across four different platforms. We have been taking good care of our users for a long time: people who purchased a dictionary on a Palm Pilot in 2001 can use it on a new Android phone in 2020 without even paying an upgrade fee.
Paid add-ons can be moved to a new device, as in other paid apps; just open our free app on your new device and it should be reactivated.
If you already have Pleco on another operating system, see the pleco.com/android for migration options.
This application uses Accessibility services. (for our Screen Reader feature, which helps users get by in Chinese-speaking regions without knowing Chinese)
Wilton, CT 06897